Shaker style furniture emerged from a religious movement in 18th century America. Its most notable features are austere, clean lines based on design principles of truth to materials, and form follows function.
Primarily wooden furniture, Shaker style creates enduring craftsmanship, with its most iconic piece, the Shaker-style chair, now a staple in Scandinavian interiors.
The Craftsmanship of Shaker Style Furniture
Shaker style furniture is popularly made from solid wood, most commonly oak, maple, ash, poplar, cherry, birch, beech, sycamore, and elm. The wood is left unfinished, so it will age and wear naturally in a distinctive, attractive way. The wood may either be in its natural form or painted in one or more shades–usually white, grey, or black.
Shaker style furniture is usually very clean and simple, with simple curves and straight lines. It features no applied decorations and no external fastening, symmetry, or fancy joinery.
It is popularly used in classical interiors, modern interiors, country style, farmhouse style, cottage style, contemporary style, mid-century style.
The Key Features of Shaker Style Furniture
Shaker style furniture follows a few fundamental principles:
• Form follows function
• Truth to materials
• Follows the precepts of Shakerism
• Part of the history of American furniture
• Made for practical use
• Affordable and long-lasting
• Non-ornamental and practical
• Not pretentious and stylish
• Functional and durable construction
• Aesthetic and functional simplicity
• American style
Shaker style furniture is popularly used in classical interiors, modern interiors, country style, farmhouse style, cottage style, contemporary style, mid-century style.
How to Style Shaker Furniture
Shaker furniture often features clean, crisp lines. The look is often completed with natural wood finishes.
Shaker furniture is simple. It doesn’t always require styling because it makes itself stand out by its simplicity. But you can always enhance it with accessories, fabrics, paint, or even decorative details.
- Style Shaker furniture with clean lines, crisp edges, and earthy colours. This is a great way to complement its simplistic forms.
- Style Shaker furniture with bolder colours. Choose intense hues to liven up the look. You can even style Shaker furniture with stencils or stencilled paint to give it a scraped look.
- Style Shaker furniture with a more rustic look. It is a great way to add a country vibe to the furniture. Also, the rustic style will make the furniture stand out even more.
- Style Shaker furniture with a coastal interior. Coastal style is all about relaxed vibes and natural materials. Shaker meets all those requirements and can easily fit into a coastal space.
- Style Shaker furniture with a modern look. A great way to add a contemporary style to your furniture is to style with geometric prints and patterns. Industrial lighting and metallic surfaces will also complement the look.
Shaker style furniture is a timeless design–it has been for over two centuries. Without a doubt, it will stand the test of time. The furniture is functional, durable, and easily adaptable to any other style. It is simple yet stylish and clean, making it warm and welcoming, too. It’s a perfect match for any space.
Knock on Wood Furniture Gallery provides 100 percent solid wood furniture, custom-built to fit the needs of every client. We have been crafting Canadian-made solid wood furniture and distinctive furnishings for homes in the Lower Mainland, Vernon, Kelowna, BC’s Interior, and Vancouver Island–timelessly beautiful and built to last, just like the memories every family is privileged to create. If you need custom wood furniture in Surrey, BC, we are one phone call away! Get in touch with us now!